Thursday, April 9, 2015

On you really caring (but really only you)



‘Can these bones live?’

Ezekiel 37:3


When I was just getting started in ministry, serving as a youth pastor in Alberton, I attended a conference at a small Baptist church one town down from ours. It was led by a strident American, a bull of man. He had that quintessential look of aged success: silver grey hair, still thick and manicured, clean cut and skin slightly tanned – a man whose sheer physicality defied his age. 70 years old? No way! Him? He had written a slight though very successful book on evangelism; a book now nestling somewhere in the lower reaches of my bookcase. I sat alongside other eager beaver men of the ministry, young and old, willing to drink from this exotic fount of wisdom.





I found those two days quite disappointing; maybe I had set the bar too high, maybe this was the beginning of a discernment process revealing that I would have many passions in this multi-faceted faith of mine, but evangelism really wasn’t one of them.


But he did tell one story that stuck with me: as a young man he had been in a church that refused to do anything, no matter what he tried, what he preached, how many visits he did there was simply nothing forthcoming. It was dead as dead could be. Morsdood.


On one occasion, after calling a meeting that no one attended, he headed out into the churchyard. There was a bell on the property, set apart from the church, and out of sheer frustration he began to ring that bell, over and over he rang it, out there in the evening air, under that darkened sky with stars lighting the heavens he rang that bell. Late in the evening the sound of its clanging reverberated through the town. He never did mention how the town responded. He never spoke of anyone sitting inside their home, watching TV but momentarily distracted by that crazy preacher who had lost the plot; he never spoke of a woman sitting in a chair attending to some task but now staring quizzically through the window and down the road in the direction of that sound; or the young girl who stepped into the street, gravel and sand underfoot, dress catching in the slight breeze, who walked quickly spying through the trees that giant of a man tugging on that rope. He could hardly know.


He didn’t even end the story with any measure of success, as I recall. The church wasn’t miraculously full the next Sunday. Although I imagine it did have some kind of happy ending, he wrote a book on evangelism after all which means he must have turned the corner somewhere. (Otherwise it would be the worst book on evangelism ever written right?) Or maybe he did explain it but I lost myself in the sad romance of that story that I forgot to track the point of what he was saying. Or maybe he just spoke the story as it came to him and left it there, hanging. I can’t remember now but I hope he did that.




Sometimes stories exist for a very clear reason; the moral all but jumps out of them smacking the listener across the face with a two-by-four yelling Learn your lesson! Learn your lesson! And then there are other stories that speak to you but at such a depth you can’t really fathom it, as if the essence of who you are understands it but hasn’t bothered to inform the operating room of your life, your consciousness. So you are moved and stirred and you get emotional but you pray no one asks why as you would have a hard time explaining it.


What I do know is that sometimes I struggle to find passion in others for the passion in me and it is vexing in the same moment as I recognise each person is free to follow their own heart.


Do you ever feel lonely in what you care about? Do you ever wish that others felt the same passion for the same things as you?


I don’t know what to say to you but I can lend you a story about a man who felt the same and went out in the crisp night air and rang a bell relentlessly, disturbing his community and awakening his slumbering God; it is a story of a passionate man, a man who stood out there, his reputation as a sane individual on the line, alone, to remind you that you are not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment