Thursday, June 12, 2014

On the chewing of chappies




“Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." (John 21: 18)


These word are about Peter. I wonder if he met them with some degree of reluctance – if, when halfway through and realising this was not going to end well, he put his hands to ears and went lalalalalalala really loudly till Jesus was done. If this was my future, I would much rather you keep that kind of information to yourself thank you very much. Nothing ruins a picnic like the promise of an afternoon storm, even if it is momentarily all blue skies and cannot be seen on the horizon just yet. You still know it is coming.

This might not have come as a surprise to Peter. He was, after all, a follower of Jesus and, as I’m beginning to believe, quite a big part of that following is going where you don’t want to go and doing what you’d rather not do. This is Christian obedience. And to keep this blog as honest as possible I have to confess, for much of the time I’m having to attend to things I would rather not.

I’m not, for instance, particularly good with sick people. It’s not that I don’t like sick people – also, I’m not sure categorising people like that is very helpful – I do, but I’m a dyed-in-the-wool hypochondriac, so illness is a mine-field for me. I have yet to leave a hospital after a visit without exhibiting the exact same symptoms of the person lying in the bed; I’ve changed my hospital exit strategy to avoid the check-in counter as I’m tempted just to book myself with a quick call to my Catholic colleague to come and administer last rites.

Hospital visits. There are ministers who can take a world of pain upon their shoulders and not flinch at all - ministers with high pain thresholds, eyes like flint that absorb hardship with a colossal heroism. 

That’s not me.


“…and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."


So it was that this week I was called out to a meeting that I did not want to attend. If this not wanting to do stuff’ reminds you of the attitude of a teenager who would rather carry on playing XBOX than, I don’t know, going to the dentist or something, I would fully agree and own that. There are glaring deficiencies in this life of mine and some worrying areas of arrested development.


This meeting involved conflict resolution. For my sins I have oversight of a number of churches. I’m in charge of more than just ‘my’ church. Now, having read the above few paragraphs, I completely understand the furrowed, worried brow and the quietly-birthed question tickling the back of your mind: how on earth has he…? (That is a blog for another day.)


Having oversight basically means nobody is interested in you unless there is a problem. So, by no fault of your own, you often assume this aura of negativity, the trumpet blows a flat note when you enter the building. Just the phrase, ‘the Superintendent is coming,’ is a mark of failure, or at least worry.


And I’m not great at conflict resolution. I’m a conflict avoider. Consequently, when those moments of conflict arise I only have so many arrows in my quiver and none of them am I able to shoot with any great accuracy or skill. I sometimes do the passive-aggressive thing, get a little snarky, a little sarcastic, make a curt remark or two - eye-rolling is in my wheel-house. When I do get confrontational I over-egg the pudding to the degree that I don’t recognise myself. People have walked away from me carrying shrapnel, wondering about who this guy is and asking what did he do with that nice minister Andrew Robinson.


Oh, and I shake. A lot. Uncontrollably.


So I was called to this meeting to resolve this issue; because of my limitations I take back-up – my Circuit Stewards accompanied me, my posse as it were. This church with this issue is in an outlying area. One of the leaders of that church, instead of calling the other leaders ‘society stewards’, which they are, kept on mistakenly calling them shop stewards. This unnerved me; this sounded less Methodist and more, I don’t know, Marikana?

So the storm cloud of this meeting that had been building on my horizon since the morning broke at about six in the evening. What I have found in places of conflict is how ordinary most of the problems are. Most problems, even the big ones, are not that salacious: a misunderstood comment here, a stupid text message there, a staggering lack of social intelligence, and a blatant disregard for protocol. Misunderstanding lurking behind every corner, and a little mischief that will interpret that misunderstanding in the worst way possible. These are more often than not the building blocks of a fully-realised conflict.


Like I said, nothing salacious. By way of confession, sometimes I wish for the clarity of the salacious scandal - "He did what?! With whom?! Where!? In the church?! On the ORGAN!? You’ve got to be kidding me!? No?! Seriously!? Well I NEVER! Listen, you’re not allowed to tell anybody…"


You know, truly scandalous stuff that gives birth to fully-fledged self-righteous indignation. Don’t judge me for this, these are the hot sins that John’s Revelation seems to favour over the insipid, boring stuff of trench-warfare disagreements.

One part of the conflict saw one individual chewing gum to the immense disapproval of other people present. Why the disapproval, you ask? Well this was done in front of the church, during a service, and the gum was being chewed - how can I put it - in a particularly aggressive fashion. I understand the disapproval. I hate gum chewing at the best of times. People never look more intelligent for chewing gum. I’ve never once thought, “You know that person looked pretty stupid until they started flapping their gums up and down in that metronomic fashion. And then he blew a bubble. Whoa! Blew. My. Mind.” 

No. Gum-chewing should be banned and let’s start by banning it in church, especially among the clergy, especially when they are sitting up front helping lead worship – so let’s start by banning it there and more the circle outwards till, I don’t know, teenagers are banned from chewing gum while watching T.V. – the final frontier.


Most of us are familiar with a type of gum called chappies and this individual who was commenting on how bad this gum chewing was said that the clergy person was “chewing the chappies. I like that. “Chewing the chappies.” It has a beautiful alliterative and euphemistic ring to it. It can be used to describe so many situations where people have their noses out of joint or are just sulking.


Where’s John? “Oh, I turned the T.V. off so he’s sitting in his room, you know, chewing the chappies.”

What happened to Albert? “Oh, he voted DA and the ANC smashed the elections. He’s gone off to play golf. Chewing the chappies.”


Where is Andrew? “The secretary told him it’s time to do some house-visits to the elderly. He went off not looking too happy. I think he is chewing the chappies.”


"Chewing the chappies" is a wonderful phrase acknowledging that slow-burn we all feel from time to time. That quiet rage. Not unlike Thoreau’s quiet lives of desperation except perhaps a little more aggressive (and a whole lot less poetic).


So I’m going to ban the chewing of chappies. Sometimes in conflict resolution, you’ve got to start small: “Yes, I understand that this could lead to cataclysmic failure but please, for the love of humanity, spit that rubbish out of your mouth right now!”


You’re probably desperate to know what happened at the meeting right? We resolved the issue. At least I think we resolved the issue. Okay, the issue is on the way to being resolved. Okay, so we’ve taken a tiny step forward in what we tentatively believe to be generally the right direction. Everybody got to speak, everybody got to air the chappy they’re chewing (you see, it really works doesn’t it?), and we worked hard at finding the way forward. Now I’m no expert, but I would like to suggest a small model for conflict situations:

     1.       Listen to everybody.


Get it all out there. Give everybody space to speak and make sure that you understand what they are saying. Don’t listen in the fashion of so many people, where you’re vaguely aware the gums of the person in front of you are moving up and down while you’re wondering who is winning the Champions League Final. Don’t listen in the way that makes you tap back into the conversation three minutes down the line now wondering hysterically what the person has actually been saying, praying it wasn’t that important, while trying to hide the ignorant-born alarm sweeping across your face.


     2.       Find the common ground.


It is there. It might seem like you have better chance of finding a camouflaged watch in a forest at midnight, but look for it and when you find it, speak it up. Understand how God values unity and the life it brings (read Psalm 133). You might have to become a contortionist trying to keep people together, but work hard at it.


     3.       Put your pride in your pocket.


This is not about you. If you are doing most of the speaking, you’re probably not doing this properly. If your words – from the get go – are not formulated to bridge gaps, bring healing, and offer possible solutions, shut up and go home and hand the job over to someone else.


     4.       Care.


If you don’t care, don’t pitch up. Using church as the example, you’d better love this thing Luther called the ‘leprous bride’ for it is very, very, very often a mess. As I sat there on Tuesday evening – having resented this meeting the whole day – I was flooded by a sense of how good these people are and how privileged I was to be a part of this. I’ve long lived with the suspicion that as clergy we don’t deserve the people God has put into our care. As each spoke (keeping in mind these are volunteers attending church after their work hours) I was humbled by their sincerity, their commitment, their love and deep desire that we make this thing called church work. Now, not all lay leaders are like this; from time to time you will come across lay leaders who you think would best serve humanity by being drawn and quartered. But that is far and away the exception.
  

     5.        Laugh.


Even the most intense meetings have moments of levity, milk them as they are fuel for the journey and joy in the midst of conflict can be an immense healing balm; it reminds us, when we most need to hear it, that we are not to take ourselves too seriously. We are to take Jesus seriously, but not ourselves.


     6.       Pray.


Okay. In all honesty this came to me a little late. I was putting finishing touches to this blog and thought, “Dude, you forgot prayer!” I imagined some saintly person offering a comment along the lines of, “Maybe prayer should be in there?” You know, in a way both disarmingly low-key but powerful enough to highlight an absence that could draw into question the validity of the entire blog-post. So prayer. (Please know though that I did not just add this to silence critics; I had people praying for me through-out and we spent time in prayer before.) So, in short, prayer is important. Do it!

So there you have it. You might read this and think to yourself, “My giddy aunt, this boy is naïve!” You might read this and think to yourself, “So these are the six impossible things I’m supposed to believe before breakfast.” 


I suppose there are some situations where none of these things will work. Where people are so hell-bent on fighting that not all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can put the thing together again. In which case, I don’t know, move, change your name, join the Witness Relocation Program, and hope to live long enough that the nightmares of where you used to be fade into oblivion.


Whatever happens though never be the one chewing the chappies, but if you are please, please only ever do it metaphorically.

No comments:

Post a Comment